Monday, January 7, 2008

Bergmann captured at his wildest, rawest best

The Vancouver Sun
Saturday, January 3, 1987
By John Mackie

Poisoned (self-titled)

Whoa. Art Bergmann and Co. have released a limited-edition (500 copies) four-song tape, and it is amazing. With crystal clear production courtesy of Bob Rock and Paul Hyde of Payola$, Bergmann is captured at his raw best, screaming his head off whilst spraying a burning wall of power chords and savage solos from his guitar.

The centerpiece of the tape is (Won't You Come Home To My) Empty House, a tale of poverty, murder, remorse and anger that will go down as one of the Great Moments in Canadian music history. Musically, it's a soaring guitar rocker; lyrically, it's a harrowing slice of life in mid-'80s British Columbia, told through the eyes of a poverty-stricken man who's just shot his wife.

"They said that things would be all right after a couple of years of restraint," wails Art, "but the kids aren't getting any younger and for me it's much too late. I got married in a fever/ I'd sooner kill ya than leave ya/I'm thinkin' maybe that we should move/ Starin' at you across my living room.

"When things go wrong to the right/ When things get worse pick up a gun/ But things for me just got weird/ I think I shot the wrong person."

Bergmann has outdone himself this time, coming up with a song to rank with the best of emotionally-charged artists like X and Graham Parker. It's available, while quantities last, at Zulu and Track records.

-30-

No comments: